Monday, May 08, 2006

Izu, Eco and their son Timber

I was having the grandest time at my old roommate Izu’s birthday party when an inner voice told me that perhaps it was time to go home. Home was a mere two blocks away but it may very well be in Alcatraz if Brandi and I decided to stick a little longer.

Brandi and I got to the party earlier that night and it seemed the magic brownie had started to cast its wicked spell to a few revelers. The Masonic Pixie had been busy sowing its magic dust and all were giddy as six year olds waiting for Christmas morning. “Are you there yet?” and “How long does it take?” were the standard questions.

Izu was having the merriest time. Her closest and dearest friends were all there and her most treasured gift was an extremely adorable 1-year-old Dachshund named Timber. Timber has the most expressive eyes that seem to be yearning for affection. Izu has wanted to have a dog for as long as I can remember… now she has Timber… most likely not the first Hippie Dachshund but will be the most profound.

Here's a funny conversation... Izu and Eco were sitting on floor and between them was Timber.

Izu: I'm your mother (pointing to herself) and this is your father (pointing to Eco).
Eco: (chuckles)
Izu: So you're our son
Eco: (laughs)
Izu: But I guess you knew that.

Nostalgia hit as soon as we started walking up Masonic. I do walk up this street from time to time but no longer to go home. 1313 Masonic is on the third and top floor of this wonderful Edwardian flat. “Please Remove Shoes” was the sign at the bottom of the thirty-seven steps. Thirty-seven… Mere thirty-seven on most days but agonizing thirty-seven on bang-out nights and some days too. On the 30th step you are welcomed by an Eco drawing. The drawing is that of a tiny cross inside a heart enveloped by a star. On top of the drawing are the words “Love Heals”.

As we mingled amongst the crowd one thing was apparent. This was pixie-land and there was nothing normal about it. I got to think that perhaps in the whole world, you would not be able to hear the same conversation. I found Eco in the living room. He gave me a hug as if I was his son returning from a long journey. He kissed my cheek and said, “Welcome home.”

Home… is where the heart is. Eco and Izu provided that home and I am truly thankful that they gave me a fabulous glimpse of a true and honest love and friendship. I guess, as you journey along you will have and find many homes. Home is where the heart is and it is where you feel… at peace.

At the end of the night Brandi and I walked down the same thirty-seven steps giggling and laughing about the entire nights event. They probably weren’t that funny at all for I can't even remember what we were laughing about... but the hearty laughs I do remember. We walked down Haight Street holding hands, I gave my pretty girl a kiss on the cheek and we headed to our home.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home